Thursday, September 22, 2011

Stop to Think -- For Christ's Sake

Disciples of Jesus might spend their time well in asking and answering, “What are we doing, and why do we do what we do?” The world of religion can be brutally demanding. Expectations are high. The production of religious programming which satisfies the consumers consumes the producers. Leaders wonder, “What can we do now? We need to keep this rolling!”

I understand and sympathize. I have felt the load of expectations and am familiar with pressure. One noon time, while praying in Highway Tabernacle’s sanctuary, a glorious exhibit of pre-Civil War architecture, a gorgeous room in which to worship and preach, I startled myself by asking the question, “How much of this did Jesus have in mind when He said, ‘I will build my church?’” I realized that much of the pressure I felt was not because of my sterling faithfulness to Jesus, but self-imposed and in response to I felt what others expected.

Financial investments for real estate and stage productions are staggering. Maintenance costs of vast campuses and payrolls for professionals who keep multiple programs synchronized keep stretching upward. Materials are developed and monies invested to perfect manipulative techniques to motivate “volunteers.” “How to” manuals and seminars proliferate. I believe, one religious marketplace reality is, the American church is in danger of losing its reason for being for lack of serious thought and self-evaluation.

Isaiah describes the carpenter who selects a forest tree, chops it down, uses part of the tree to warm his meals and from the rest fashions a god to worship. And, the god looks like him! The opening words of the prophet’s assessment are arresting!
No one stops to think, no one has the knowledge or understanding to say, “Half of it I used for fuel; I even baked bread over its coals, I roasted meat and I ate. Shall I make a detestable thing from what is left? Shall I bow down to a block of wood?” (Isaiah 44)
Mere religious activity, without serious reflection is a slippery slope into mindless busyness. We must learn from Isaiah’s foolish carpenter and stop to think!

First, I believe, we must stop to think, asking, “Does Jesus really want this?” If Jesus’ reason for coming into the world is to save sinners, how well, or how poorly do our activities and investments move us toward fulfilling Jesus’ purposes? Dare we ask ourselves, “How much more in love with Jesus will people be because of this investment of human and financial resources?”

Second, we must think through the challenging question, “Am I really interested in others?” Do we already spend time with the people we want to introduce to Jesus when no one is observing? When no monies are needed? Am I engaged for their sake, for Jesus’ sake, or my own? Are we meeting with people where they live and work, or do we create venues for others to meet on our terms, in our place, when convenient for us?

And, last, are we willing to ask the probing question, “Am I really doing what I do for Jesus’ sake?” Or, is there an agenda through which I have yet to think and seriously consider?

• “For the sake of the Name” first generation disciples risked their lives and reputations. (1 John 3)
• Do we, like Moses, consider “the disgrace for the sake of Christ” of greater value than our personal pleasure or security? (Hebrews 11)
• Am I willing to consider (stop to think) Paul’s Spirit inspired, deeply probing words, “I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory. Here is a trustworthy saying: If we died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us; if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself.” (2 Timothy 2)
• What do the Holy Spirit words of Philippians 3 mean in my thoughts, my life? “But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him ...
I am arrested with the words, “For whose sake?” And, “No one stops to think.” Do I need a stage in a crowded arena for “Christ’s sake” to occur in my life? Am I whittling a god who satisfies me out of wood that the True God created? Am I content with bringing people to Jesus or am I developing a following of my own?

No comments:

Post a Comment