Thursday, September 15, 2011

Friends - Part Six

This morning, like yesterday, I awaked to the melody and lyrics of J. Wilbur Chapman’s, “Jesus, What a Friend of Sinners.” While recently highlighting the role a few friends have played in my life, and there are more whose story I will share, a reflective pause to consider Jesus as friend is appropriate.

Along the path of life, friends taught me, “A friend is someone with whom you share honesty, and when something embarrassing is uncovered, says, ‘ Oh, you too?’” Friends are never condescending, and consistently lead to the higher way.

Instead of condemnation or railing accusations, Jesus, both Savior and Friend, says, “I understand, come follow me.” Have you noticed that following His resurrection, Jesus took special interest in Peter, the one who had so vociferously and publically denied Him?

Do you remember singing, and discovering truth the Spirit brought into your soul, “I’ve found a Friend, who is all to me, His love is ever true; I love to tell how He lifted me, and what His grace can do for you?” Years add warmth and meaning to the simple truth.

A word about J. Wilbur Chapman a pastor and revivalist whose ministry impacted the post Civil War American church like few others, in addition to his revivalist ministry Chapman pastored several Presbyterian congregations including Bethany Presbyterian in Philadelphia, 1890-1892, 1896-1899. A contemporary of D. L. Moody, Chapman was instrumental in grooming many younger preachers and songwriters. His primary pattern was to simply befriend those who expressed interest in pursuing ministry. Chapman’s deep insights into Jesus as friend and savior are captured in the lyrics of his most well-known song.

Jesus! what a Friend for sinners!
Jesus! Lover of my soul;
Friends may fail me, foes assail me,
He, my Savior, makes me whole.

Refrain
Hallelujah! what a Savior!
Hallelujah! what a Friend!
Saving, helping, keeping, loving,
He is with me to the end.

Jesus! what a Strength in weakness!
Let me hide myself in Him.
Tempted, tried, and sometimes failing,
He, my Strength, my victory wins.

Refrain

Jesus! what a Help in sorrow!
While the billows over me roll,
Even when my heart is breaking,
He, my Comfort, helps my soul.

Refrain

Jesus! what a Guide and Keeper!
While the tempest still is high,
Storms about me, night overtakes me,
He, my Pilot, hears my cry.
Refrain

Jesus! I do now receive Him,
More than all in Him I find.
He hath granted me forgiveness,
I am His, and He is mine.
Refrain

No comments:

Post a Comment