Friday, September 23, 2011

The Power of Praying Parents

An instructive story was told by the great American preacher, J. Wilbur Chapman.1 The event is set in Edinburgh Scotland more than a century ago, its lesson is as contemporary as tomorrow, and strongly reinforces my experience. My parents were praying people and taught their children, “Happiness is found in obedience, not understanding.”

Dr. Chapman’s story –

“The old clock in the church in the church steeple ... was striking nine o’clock one night when a company of young men were just passing the church on their way to a place of sin. Suddenly one of them stopped and said:

“‘I cannot go with you.’

“When they pressed him for an answer, he said:

“‘When I left my home in the country, my mother said, ‘My boy, you are going to a wicked town, and your temptations will be strong, but your father and I will pray for you without ceasing; and at nine o’clock every evening we will be on our knees saying, Oh, God, save our boy,’ and, said he, ‘I will not break their hearts.’

“They jeered at him and mocked him, but he turned back to his room, fell on his knees and cried out to God, for mercy; and today he is not only a Christian, but one of the leading merchants in Edinburgh.”

My father passed away twenty years ago, my mother, ten years ago. My father, paralyzed and nearly completely helpless physically, remained strong in faith and prayer. On at least one occasion, my mother went to his bedside at night thinking Dad had called out for help. She discovered he was praying in his sleep! My mother slipped away from us with the small steps of Alzheimer’s Disease, but prayer and singing familiar hymns were the last facilities to leave. While I miss conversations and raucous family gatherings over which my parents presided, I really miss their prayers.

The influence of people praying, especially the prayers of parents for their children, is unfathomable. The intercession of parents has turned the heart of a wayward child toward heaven more times than we know. If you have a child straying from God, hold on in prayer. If your children are walking as Jesus’ disciples, continue praying!


1. J. Wilbur Chapman, The Power of a Surrendered Life, The Bible Institute Colportage Association, page 117

No comments:

Post a Comment